Two Worlds

Two Worlds
Prairies/Island

19 September 2015

Keeping it understandable and genuine

Two thoughts coming out of this week during youth group - How to keep talks understandable (while keeping in line with the Truth), as well as genuine; and being genuine to youth (while not overdoing it).

I gave a talk to the Jr. Youth on Wednesday from 1 John 2. I have to say, doing the research and learning about certain things in 1 John 2 was enjoyable and a little thrilling. However, I am a much better conveyer of my findings through writing (like this) as opposed to saying it out loud.
Also, I'm used to studying Scripture with an academic standard, so that means being grammatically correct, theologically sound, and actually knowing what it is you're talking about.

So, I gave a talk from 1 John 2, looking at what light represents, and how we as Christians are to live in that light. As I was talking, I looked around the room occasionally and noted that some, if not most, of the youth seemed disengaged or bored.  Thinking back over the talk I realized that I would sometimes use words that they may not have understood, like 'righteousness' and 'epistle'....

Guys, I called 1 John an epistle to an audience mostly made up of kids in grade 6... as IF they would know what that means without having to explain it!
*Seriously, get it together Holmes*
HOWEVER, I heard later from the Youth Pastor that a lot of the youth were engaged with the talk, even though they didn't know what some of the words meant... which was encouraging to say the least. ALTHOUGH NOW, I have a mission and a task to make sure my talks ARE understandable whilst keeping in mind that genuine enthusiasm for these talks are needed. I think that the enthusiasm I had for the research did come through to the youth and that is why they liked the talk... even if I said "righteousness" and "epistle" and didn't explain it.

Other than the ONE CLASS I took at Briercrest called 'Preaching and Teaching to Youth,' you aren't trained for giving talks to younger audience. Since my mindset is still in 'academic student writing' mode, the words "righteousness" and "epistle" are to me words that need to be used, but not explained. 

ANYWAY

On Friday we had our first night as a Sr. Youth group at the church. At first our YP was not expecting many youth to show up, because other things were happening that evening, but as it turned out between 15-20 youth showed up. 

There was one thing that really stood out that night though, not the number of the youth, but one girl in particular. 
She came with her bother, and as soon as she walked into the room, I knew she felt uncomfortable. Her arms were slightly crossed while she twiddled her fingers, and she was often looking down or away from gazes, and she stayed near the door to the youth room. 
I went to her and introduced myself and did my best to make some lighthearted talk but she still seemed shy and nervous. I didn't know how to continue the conversation so I made my way back to the YP and began the evening with a welcome and mixer. 
We did the 'Music Mixer' (found in Ken Moser's book: Creative Christian Ideas for Youth Groups) and noted that the 'shy girl' would keep to the outside of the groups when they came together. Even in small groups, she was with me, and two other girls, and she still would not open up, and mostly kept looking away.
Posture of nervousness and concern.
BY THE WAY - this really is normal for some youth who are in a new environment and just getting aquatinted with the group. Being an introvert myself, I wasn't expecting this girl to open her heart up to us on the first night, but I could't help but feel responsible to make sure she knew that this place was welcoming and safe for her to be in. 

For the last part of youth group - we played a game where you had to rotate to another game every 10 min and pick up where your teammate left off. 
Except when we were getting started, the shy girl was no where to be seen. I found her in the bathroom standing casually by the mirror. I asked if she wanted to play the game and she said no. I said that it was fine and she and I could watch instead. 
As we sat on one of the couches in the youth room, I asked her if she wasn't a fan of board games and she said, "No, I don't like playing games in teams, because if I lose I could let them down."

My reaction:
Whoa. 
I told her that hopefully as the year goes on she would see that most of the youth don't really care about winning, and the ones I know are rather chill about it.
I asked her if she was an introvert, and she told me all about how she's really into psychology and she knows her MBTI personality.

My reaction:
Eeeeehhhhh!!
We got into talking more about personality psych, family, and even her ideas for career choices after high school. 

THIS IS HOW WE INTROVERTS DO! One on one meaningful talks in a comfortable environment. 

Once youth group wrapped up, she thanked me for talking with her. 

This is what I mean about genuine, taking an interest in the lives of each person. It just so happened that this girl and I had the same interest in psychology and so we were able to have a meaningful conversation that flowed naturally. Even if I'm talking to a youth where their interests and mine don't line up, I can still talk with them because their interests are actually interesting - its part of who they are and when they open up about them, parts of who they are (character and emotion) are brought out and it's exciting to experience that with them.
It's not about studying youth culture to 'know ahead of time' how to talk with youth and get accepted by them. 
It's about getting to know the person's interests, stories, personality, strengths, and weaknesses, and knowing that all this is wrapped up in one individual, who has been placed in this time period for a specific reason by God; which is AMAZING. 

That's my rant for the day. Hope it was insightful and encouraging for you dear reader. 

Till the next time!

~To God be the Glory 


No comments:

Post a Comment