Two Worlds

Two Worlds
Prairies/Island

3 October 2015

Personable - Incorporating testimony

After giving two talks to the Jr. youth, I was talking to the youth pastor about them and what he thought. One of the things he mentioned was hearing more of me in the talk... that is to say, to have some story or illustration of how or why this chapter, verses, topic, I'm talking about influenced or changed me.

Well... as an INFJ, the problem with this personality type is that it's really hard to talk about ourselves without getting... how should I put it... a little worked up; usually responding with some edge or nervousness.

So when the youth pastor said, "I would like to hear more 'Sarah' in the talks, that is if you can." I responded with something along the lines of a cringing deflating sigh.
"Guuuuuaaaahhhhhhh..." - what is sounded like
This gif portrays how I felt like responding physically 
HOWEVER. I knew this was a personal challenge I needed to overcome and face at some point, and since it's with Jr. Youth (some of the few people I feel most at ease around) I figured this would be the best chance as any to incorporate some testimony in the talk of 1 John 4.

It took less time than I anticipated in deciding what story I could use that would relate to the "God is love" and "Don't fear" themes I would talk about from 1 John 4. The testimony of when I first realized that God loved me, and the time when I found out God's wrath was directed onto Christ when he took my sin upon himself.
At first I was still a little worried about sharing this part of my life with the youth... 'cause I was certain I would get emotional and feel very vulnerable, and probably not truly say what I meant to say... but then I remembered the time at camp, and during school that testimony is not ABOUT ME; it's about what GOD HAS DONE in me. With that in mind I stood in front of 30 something youth on Wednesday (along with our 8 youth leaders), and after going through a few verses in 1 John 4, ended the talk with some testimony.

As I shared the time I had coffee with one of my best friends, and she told me how God's wrath was directed on Christ when he died for me, I felt something deep welling up within me. As I said, "When she told me this (God's anger directed at Jesus), I saw this image of lightening coming at me then moved towards Jesus who was standing beside me... and I panicked. That should have been me getting hurt, not Jesus, I deserve that!" That's when the tears came.
I couldn't stop them even if I wanted to. I ended the story saying, "Thank God for Jesus. His death and resurrection is what allows us to have a relationship with God, and how we are shown what love looks like."

After I prayed, one of the youth leaders rushed up to me with a hug and some encouraging words about the message and how my tears didn't distract from the talk (which was a concern of mine). Once the youth pastor sent the youth and leaders off into their pods and he told me how the youth's interest really picked up once I started sharing the testimony. Also, when we got had our leaders meeting at the end of the night, there was a lot of good conversation that took place in the pods, and some of the leaders also expressed their appreciation for the message.

Even though the tears were not like waterfalls, I sure was tired by the end of youth group... moments that are emotional can be so draining to my energy level.

So, on Friday when I gave yet another talk, this time to the Sr. youth, I was encouraged to know that with the right mindset of giving God the glory in personal stories, people will for the most part respond well, and more openly.

I didn't cry while giving the Sr. Youth talk (which was a relief) but I had no idea how the youth felt about the talk because right after it we did an activity called a "Car Rally" which took up the rest of the evening. When we all got back together at the church, and during the leaders debrief some of the leaders expressed their appreciation for the talk as well.

ALL THAT BEING SAID. One does not need to incorporate testimony all the time while giving talks. If you are passionate for the Scriptures, and can convey it well to youth (or anyone in general) then testimony is not always needed. Apparently I had a bit of a "fangirl" moment, according to the youth pastor, when I was saying how much I loved the chapter of 1 John 4.
Might have looked something like this...
If that can be channelled into talks all the time, the youth will pick up on it. ALSO, testimony is NOT about the person, it's about GOD WORKING in the life of the person.

By the way, if you, dear reader, want to have a look at the notes I talk from, or go through specific verses in Scripture that I mention in this blog, let me know via comments, or on FB (if you're friends with me - preferably through the fb messaging system), or email. 

Till the next time!

~To God be the glory


No comments:

Post a Comment